Tuesday, December 13, 2011

After dinner drink for the over 40 crowd?

I%26#39;ve got parents (cool ones who like to go out!) coming in town this weekend, and I would like to take them somewhere after dinner for a late night drink. I don%26#39;t want to take them somewhere where they would feel uncomfortable and surrounded by a bunch of 20-30 year olds, but would like to take them to a cool bar that isn%26#39;t stuffed with a bunch of 50 year old stiffs.





Any suggestions?





Thanks so much!



After dinner drink for the over 40 crowd?


Any particular neighborhood?





Geisha on 61st just east of Madison has interesting cocktails.





Flutes on W54 or E20th - champagne bar





almost every bar on West Broadway in Soho - and the side streets





there are so many places I cant begin to list them.



After dinner drink for the over 40 crowd?


and I won%26#39;t answer on principal %26#39;cause I%26#39;m probably one of those 50 year old stiffs you%26#39;ve seen.




Wow - what have you got against 50 year olds?



I%26#39;m 62 and think I%26#39;m fairly cool, I also go out a lot; so that being the case, where to go.



What area of the City?



Your posting info indicates you live in NYC-is that correct?



Where do you usually go, to those 20 or 30 yr old places?



How about a pub, we just returned from a pleasant weekend in the City and patronized a few pubs before and after the theater.



We also took a couple of meals in pubs.



Eclectic crowd, didn%26#39;t see too many %26#39;stiffs%26#39; although I did notice one fellow who did have a wee too much Guinness.



For a classy drink head over to the Campbell Apartment in Grand Central Terminal.



They do have a dress code, %26#39;smart casual%26#39; no jeans, running/athletic shoes and collared shirts.



But don%26#39;t be put off - it%26#39;s pretty %26#39;cool%26#39;.



Hope that%26#39;s cool enough for you and your cool parents.



Poppa




Campbell Apartments is a great suggestion.





I can also rave about the Pegu Club, on the border of SoHo. It has a brilliant cocktail menu conceived by owner and mixologist extraordinaire, Audrey Saunders (nicknamed ';Libation Goddess'; by the cocktail industry).





http://www.peguclub.com/





For your parents%26#39; sake, I think you should make every effort to try BOTH bars.




Sorry guys! I certainly didn%26#39;t mean to insult, what I was trying to convey is that I want a place where cool 40-50 somethings hang out, not a place where stuffy 40-50 year olds hang out---no harm meant, I promise. Thanks for all of the suggestions, they really are much appreciated.




No offense taken! After reading that stupid article last week about the new hip 20something trustfunded downtown artists in NY Magazine (I am still not sure if it was a satire, or for real) I know we 40somethings are a lot cooler than most of today%26#39;s 20somethings!




Personally, I enjoy the both bartenders at Bar Americain at 52nd St near 7th. You won%26#39;t find Bobby Flay working, but you%26#39;ll have good drinks with an eclectic crowd.




Bar 89 at 89 mercer street in Soho serves the best drinks in the city. It is a beautiful bar, beautiful bathrooms wait till you see them, and a laid back crowd. You can also have a little bite to eat. They serve the best caipirinhas, cosmos and mojitos in the city!




The lobby bar at the Algonquin Hotel





http://www.algonquinhotel.com/




I think Soho is a perfect neighborhood for the blend of ages and atmos you%26#39;re talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment