Tuesday, December 13, 2011

In doubt between 3 hotels, looking for suggestions

Hi,





I%26#39;m coming to Manhattan for the second time from Feb. 17 to Feb. 21.



I got my plane tickets last friday, and started looking for some hotels.



I made a reservation in the Milford Plaza for 580$ for the four nights, which I thougt was a great price, but have since then come across the not-so-flattering reviews of the place on this site.



So I%26#39;ve started looking for antoher place to stay, and so far I%26#39;ve come up with 3 candidates.





Best Western President - about the same price



Park Central - about 700$



Shelburne Murray Hill - about 700$





Any suggestions on which is the most value for money of these three?



The first priority is that the room has to be clean. I would also like it if the room is not too much outdated.





Or have you got some suggestions for other hotels in the same price range (600$-750$)? Or should I stick to my reservation at the Milford?





I%26#39;m also planning to come over for thanksgiving (21-25 nov). I booked a room at the Wingate Inn for 680$ for four nights, any comments on that place? The reviews seem promising, but I would love to hear some other stories as well.





Thanks for your time,



Jan



In doubt between 3 hotels, looking for suggestions


Plug your travel dates into affinia.com. The Beekman Tower, Eastgate Tower, and Shelburne Murray Hill are nicely priced. I believe the Shelburne is lower than your $700 figure on the affinia site.





Also, there are some terrific deals these days on travelzoo.com. A lot to choose from in your price range.



In doubt between 3 hotels, looking for suggestions


Hi Voyagereuse, and thanks for your reply.





One thing that I did not mention, and perhaps should have, is that all the prices I mentioned are including taxes. The price for Shelburne Murray Hill is the one from affinia.com, but with taxes added.





I also checked out your other suggestions, but to me it seems that the cheapest rates are almost always to be had at the hotel website itself.





For example, when making a reservation from travelzoo via expedia for Park Central, I get a rate of 872.66 $.





That same room, booked through the hotel website with their winter promo, costs me 704 $.





Would you think that Park Central or Shelburne Murray Hill are worth the extra 120$-130$ compared to the Milford?





Thanks again,



Jan




The only hotel out of those three I%26#39;d consider staying in is the Shelburne the rest get pretty consistanlty bad reviews.





I%26#39;ve just been on Travel Zoo and they have the Beekman Tower for your dates including taxes for $652.39




Just checked it out and that is a great rate.



Wanted to be near Times Square this time because my GF already made up the itineraries for the 4 days we%26#39;re there, and they all start from there.



A quick glance at the map shows that the closest subway line is the green line at 51st %26amp; Lexington, is that correct?



What would be the easiest way to get to a large subway junction from there?



Planned visits are downtown %26amp; SSSP, Broadway between CP %26amp; TS, Guggenheim %26amp; Skyscraper Museum, 5th, Park %26amp; Madison ave, and probably some other stuff I can%26#39;t remember.





Thanks,



Jan




I also found the Mansfield for 780$ including taxes.



Any ideas on that one?





Thanks,



Jan




There is a shuttle at Grand Central Terminal that takes you to Times Square.





The Beekman and Shelburne aren%26#39;t in Times Square but you should have no problem getting where you need to go. The city is very user-friendly that way. There are subways, buses, cabs, feet.... Either would be much nicer than the Milford.





I never heard of the Wingate Inn.




Jan





The Milford Plaza is without doubt the worst hotel I have stayed in. I stayed in cleaner hostels in Manhattan.





I stayed in the MP in November 06 my review can be seen on this site.





The dirt mould and blood on the curtains was disgraceful.





did you look at the edison hotel, cheap cheerful and clean as I later learned.





Ed




Check out applecorehotels.com. They have 5 reasonably priced, reliable, midtown hotels and all include an expanded continental breakfast. The Comfort Inn Midtown and Super 8 are very close to Times Square.

No comments:

Post a Comment