Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Blakely or 70 Park Avenue Hotel to Hackensack

Have reservations at The Blakely for $259 but found a rate for 70 Park Avenue at $199. My husband will be catching a bus from Port Authority to Hackensack on Friday and Saturday. Is one hotel more conveniently located for this commute? I read that hotel 70 park avenue is close to grand central terminal. Is this relevant? I see that the blakely is closer to the bus station.



The Blakely or 70 Park Avenue Hotel to Hackensack


I would go with the 70 Park avenue. It is located in a really nice area, Murray Hill, and your husband could walk a few blocks north to catch the M42. That bus would take him crosstown to the Port authority almost directly. He would then have to walk a couple of blocks north, but it is very close by. I think that the 70 Park avenue is a much nicer hotel than the Blakely which seems a bit dated by the pictures. You also have a glass of wine before dinner at that hotel. I always stay in that area when I am in town and there are a lot of nice restaurants and it is more quiet and more residential. Personnally, I would go for it and, if I%26#39;m not mistaken, they have a website where you can register and accumulate points for extra stays.



The Blakely or 70 Park Avenue Hotel to Hackensack


I usually agree with Cricri but not this time. The rooms at the Blakely are much nicer and larger than at 70 Park. The reviews here are uniformly great for the Blakely and mixed for 70 Park. At the Blakely you will have kitchen facilities so you can have breakfast in the room.





While they%26#39;re not that close to each other, there%26#39;s not a huge difference b/w the 2 in terms of getting to Port Authority. Your husband can walk (Blakely is closer I think), taxi, bus or subway from either. Have you checked to see if you can find a better price for the Blakely? Have you checked quikbook?




Thank you for your replies. I did check quickbook. $10 more a night than the AAA rate I received by calling the hotel directly. Which is more conveniently located for subway use? I stayed at the Salisbury my last trip to New York. Will I be using the same subway locations?




I finally found someone who agrees with me ny whiz....that is a rare thing....haha....The thing is that I love the area in which the 70 park avenue is located and am not a big fan of the west side in terms of hotel. I think that it is more noisy and more ';touristy';. That is why I was opting for the 70 park avenue.





Fairger....you should look a little bit more because I think that at this time of year you could find something for around 200$. Quikbook and travel zoo are good suggestions, but you could also go on the hotel websites directly because the rates are low at this time of year.




The closest subway to 70 Park is at Grand Central station. From the Blakely, you have several different stops to chose from. I think the very closest would be for the E train at 7th ave %26amp; 53 st and that goes to Port Authority, Penn Station etc. but there%26#39;s also a stop at 57 %26amp; 7th which is probably what you used from the Salisbury. One is 2 blocks north and one is 2 blocks south.




Thanks. I didnt mention that I am going from April 19 -22. I assume the rates go up a bit that time of year.




I think $269 for those dates is good for the Blakely. That%26#39;s what the Salisbury is charging (on quikbook) and the Blakely is much more newly redecorated and feels much more elegant. I admit saving almost $100/day by going to 70 Park is enticing. If you want to save the money, do it, but just look carefully at the ';candid traveler%26#39;s photos'; before you make the decision. It%26#39;s an older building that%26#39;s not been structurally maintained so you%26#39;ll see complaints about clanging heating pipes, drafty windows etc.





I%26#39;d keep an eye out on travelzoo and see if any other specials come up that would be less than the Blakely.




Thanks for all your input nywhiz. I booked the Blakely my last trip but had to cancel because we ended up adding an extra person to our group and the Blakely wasnt large enough. I am planning on spending most of my time at the museums so I thought about an upper east side location but want to make it easy for my husband to get to the bus station. Thanks again, cant wait til April and I will probably be asking hotel questions again if a good price becomes available.




If you want the upper east side to be near the museums, the Affinia%26#39;s Surrey hotel is ideal and about the same price as the Blakley (but not as newly renovated as far as I know). Hubby would need taxi or 2 subways to get to PA.

No comments:

Post a Comment