Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Best skating place for beginners?

Hubby really wants to go skating next week and while the thought of it terrifies me, I am bringing him to two musicals so fair%26#39;s fair.





We plan to go early on a weekday morning, but to which one. Rockefeller, Wollman or Bryant Park? It%26#39;s not an issue of the cost really, more which one is less intimidating for someone who%26#39;s never skated before.



Best skating place for beginners?


Maybe Chelsea Piers is best, as it is not so crowded plus it is indoors so that bad weather won%26#39;t be an issue.



Best skating place for beginners?


As someone with a couple of nightmarish memories of childhood ice skating with my family (actually, I call it ';falling down over and over, having black %26amp; blue marks for a couple of weeks and achy ankles';), I decided to re-visit the horrors of the rink, recently, 40 years after my last experience.





I donned the oldest pair of jeans I could find (they actually had duct tape on them) and I went to the rink resolved to fall alot but have a good time. Fortunately, I had the good sense to take a private lesson and, wow!, what a difference. Over the 30 minutes, I did not fall once and I learned the basic principles that I never knew about.





After the lesson was over, I continued confidently on my own for another 30 minutes (no ';fall downs';) and today, I skate forward and backward, straight and in circles and can stop (something you NEED) when I want to.





My recommendation: take a lesson first and then enjoy your time with your husband. Believe me, if I can do it, you can do it!!





Have fun!




I hadn%26#39;t been skating for 20 years and am truly useless but decided whilst in New York, in the winter, it had to be done.



We (my 2 teenage brothers, mum and myself) went to the Wollman rink and had a fantastic time, we went late afternoon on a wednesday, it was busy but not overly crowded and there were so many people there that were as bad, if not worse than me that I didn%26#39;t feel intimidated/silly etc.



We had a fantastic time and Central Park is such a fabulous setting I, personally, wouldn%26#39;t have gone anywhere else.



Just a personal note, my 15 year old brother, who had never even seen a pair of ice skates before took to the ice like he was born on it and ended up leading ME around!!!!




If the weather is nice I%26#39;d go to Wollman Rink in Central Park. I never liked Rockafeller Center because if you%26#39;re a bad skater like me, you%26#39;ll feel like your skating before the Olympic Commitee with all the spectators. They even have a restaurant The Sea Grill with a bird eye view of you hanging onto the rails and falling on your but. No thanks !




went to look at both. visually both stunning, size wise no comparison woolman way bigger. rockefeller quite small and cramped. in central pk you are out in the air!




I haven%26#39;t skated there, but the Bryant Park rink is said to have the best music of all the rinks. It%26#39;s also very convenient. Only thing is, you need to check and make sure it will be up next week. They will start getting ready for fashion week soon and will have to take the rink down before then.




Bryant Park closed on1/17/07 to get ready for Fashion Week.




I skated at Wollman over Christmas and it hadn%26#39;t been 40 years or so....Scared to death, but really wanted to share the ';experience';of it with my kids. We had a blast and am proud to say I didn%26#39;t fall once. Its a big rink and the more experienced skaters know how to avoid flailing skaters....have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment