Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Breweries in Cooperstown

I%26#39;ve browsed through all the websites I can find and through this forum (thanks for all the great advice on dining!), but I still have a few more questions.



My boyfriend and I are making a trip early March for the weekend (big baseball fans), and will do the farmer%26#39;s museum and HOF (of course), but does anyone know about nearby breweries that are great for touring and tasting?



And how about a quiet night spot or pub to finish with a few beers at the end of the night?



Also, my boyfriends grandmother said something about a glass museum I have to check out - know what she%26#39;s talking about?



I saw something on the Ommegang Brewery - is it any good?



Thanks in advance for all your help! We%26#39;re really excited about going!



Breweries in Cooperstown


I%26#39;m going to Cooperstown in April, so I%26#39;ve been doing the research...



there are 2 breweries-Brewery Ommegang %26amp; Cooperstown Brewing Company. Tours are offered at both.





I hope that someone replies about pubs and bars, I%26#39;m also looking places to go.



Breweries in Cooperstown


I would recommend Brewery Ommegang.....their beer is great, and the tours are always comprehensive and interesting. Check out their website to see if they have any special events going on during your visit, there%26#39;s often music or something happening.



The Farmers%26#39; Museum actually doesn%26#39;t open to the public until April 1, but they will be open every Sunday in March when they do a wonderful pancake breakfast and explain how maple syrup is produced (you can also tour the grounds, but there%26#39;s only limited access to the buildings). Check it out at www.nysha.org.



As far as bars go, you have two choices....Cooley%26#39;s or the Pratt, which are across the street from each other. The bar at the Bistro is nice in the early evening.



The glass museum you%26#39;re looking for is the Corning Museum of Glass, in Corning, NY......and it%26#39;s quite a hike to get there from Cooperstown. Hope this helps!




We enjoyed a few drinks at the Doubleday Cafe. The locals and barmaid were very friendly. We even got a few rounds free from the barmaid as she *nearly* spilt a drink on me! :o)





Barbie




Ommegang is a great brewery but you shouldn%26#39;t pass up Cooperstown Brewery. Ommegang is the heavy belgian kind where as CB is more like a micro brewery (and it is locally owned!)


Corning Museum of Glass is a little under 3 hours away. For a weekend trip it maybe too far. It is a fabulous place to visit.




Ommegang is a great brewery but you shouldn%26#39;t pass up Cooperstown Brewery. Ommegang is the heavy belgian kind where as CB is more like a micro brewery (and it is locally owned!)


Corning Museum of Glass is a little under 3 hours away. For a weekend trip it maybe too far. It is a fabulous place to visit.




Thanks for all your help. We%26#39;re off for the trip this weekend (March 3-5) and I%26#39;m so excited. This is my first real vacation in over five years, so I wanted to be prepared, especially since we%26#39;re visiting in off-season.



And thanks to you, litachagita, for all your info. I did find out a bit after I posted that the museums were closed until april (very disappointing), but the pancake breakfast sounds interesting. I will call on that.



We%26#39;ll probably hit both breweries, since the tour prices are so reasonable and it will be a fun experience.




thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment