Tuesday, March 30, 2010

What are the ';Must Dos'; of Cooperstown

Like many others - trying to squeeze an overnight in Cooperstown for my 9 year baseball fanatic. We want to be sure we don%26#39;t miss anything special. We found a hotel room at the Holiday Inn for our family of 5 for one night using tripadvisor advice. Tryint to extend our hotel stay- but at the moment it is booked on both sides...



Can anyone tell me what are the must dos outside of the Baseball Hall of Fame (if you only have 1 night and 2 days)?



Is there a super baseball restaurant in town - fun for the kids?



I heard somewhere there is a baseball bat factory - any good?



Any comments would be welcome! We want to be sure we make most of our short visit! Thanks!



What are the ';Must Dos'; of Cooperstown


The bat factory has only received great reviews from my dedicated New York Yankee family and friends, you can actually order a special bat while you are visiting!



Cooperstown Fun Park has bumper cars, arcade, mini golf, go karts and picnic areas that is a fun filled few hour visit.



As far as food, well I just love tripadvisor..go to cooperstown main page, click on overview tab, choose restaurant overview. Mickie wrote a great overview that I think would be really helpful for you. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g47529-s501/Coopersto… ..I pasted it there for quick cut and paste access for you. The Doubleday cafe is good for burgers and such. Hope the overview page is just what you needed! Have fun!



What are the ';Must Dos'; of Cooperstown


Thanks for your reply. I did not see the overview dining page and as we are going on the induction weekend - I want to be sure to have everything organized ahead of time due to the corws that will be there.



I am just surprised that there does not seem to be a baseball theme restaurant in town - maybe that would be overkill...




Sorry my dots kind of cut that off.. here%26#39;s the actual full link tripadvisor.com/Travel-g47529-s501/Coopersto…



Doubleday Cafe is about as close as we get to a baseball type restaurant that I know of.. you know Abner Doubleday.. baseball... Between Micki%26#39;s detailed food page, I tested the link again it works now, and Doubleday cafe that should be a great start. Have fun!




The Farmer%26#39;s Museum in Coopersfield is excellent. Not baseball related, but a lot of fun.




I agree, the Farmer%26#39;s Museum thing was great, I forgot about that in my posts. I talked to my mom and dad who have been a dozen times, they mentioned that and said there are several baseball themed restaurants nearby, they just aren%26#39;t advertised as such online. Mom mentioned she believes the one they liked most was Mickey Mantle%26#39;s restaurant somewhere there near the museum, she just can%26#39;t remember exactly where, but you cant miss it from the Hall of Fame, they were referred there from the HOF staff themselves. Hope that helps!




Ok once again, I went back and saw that my links didn%26#39;t fully paste.. you have to cut and paste the full link ending at the html..I hit enter and spaced it after the 2nd time so just copy and paste until you hit the space..sorry I dont know why the whole link won%26#39;t paste :( ...also if you look to the right hand side overview is the first link, click that then choose dining overview by Micki...




The highlights of Cooperstown are the Fenimore House Museum containing a great colection of Indian artifacts and a Grandma Moses show, the Farmer%26#39;s Museum located just across the road, lunch buffet at the magnificent Otesaga Hotel located right on Otsego Lake the source of the mighty Susquehana river. Also, three miles south of town on route 28 you%26#39;ll find the studio of nationally reknowned metal sculptor Don Gialanella and his fantastic life-size steel animals.




Go to TJ%26#39;s Place the Home Plate restaurant for baseball memorabilia and Coca-Cola Americana throughout.



The food is casual and varied (full bar, too) and it%26#39;s usually buzzing with activity. Ted and Diane take good care of their customers. It%26#39;s right on Main Street, between Chestnut and Pioneer Streets.



Where It All Began Bats are what you%26#39;re looking for. They are the ones made in Cooperstown. The other bat company ships them in and only engraves them here.




I too am going with my 10 year old son %26amp; husband this week (7/21). We will be there for 3 nights %26amp; almost 4 days. Does anyone have a list of things to do given the time. My husband %26amp; son are big basebal fans. Is there a park they can play bball on? Do we need equipment.? We are staying at the Otesaga resort. Can we walk to most things in the Village? Can we drive to the Fennimore, etc... or is it a zoo %26amp; we should take the trolley?



Is the soccer Hall of Fame good? Is it far away. Our focus is on baseball for this trip. My son %26amp; husband(manager) just finished their All Star baseball season last night %26amp; this trip is a special gift. We are coming from CA %26amp; anticipate being tired on day 1 after a red eye flight. Thanks in advance for any tips.






I heard the Soccer HOF is a joke. There are baseball factories and custom bat places everywhere. We enjoyed watching some games at the Dreams Park and right in Doubleday was fun too (and free).



We went to the Howe Caves on the way home- definitely recommend that- very cool.



I heard the Cooperstown Fun Park is nothing much. We did spend a 1/2 day at Glimmerglass State Park- nice beach with huge picnic area and walking trails. The Glimmerglass Dinner cruise is supposed to be nice also.



My kids liked the movie at the HOF and went right to their favorite players- 2 hrs and they were done.

No comments:

Post a Comment