Sunday, April 4, 2010

Famous Brooklyn Deli?

Can anyone tell me the name (and address) of a famous Italian Deli in Brooklyn - the owner is called Michael....it was on the BBC Holiday Show on 17 January and I fancy a trip there next week when I am in NYC. Thank you.





Famous Brooklyn Deli?


I thought the guy presenting said it was in the Bronx but I%26#39;m not too sure - if you have digital , you may be able to see it again on Freeview.



Famous Brooklyn Deli?


Not sure what Italian deli you are talking about but I love the way you Bits turn a phrase i.e. ';fancy a trip there'; and I also love how you guys call everything ';brilliant';. A friend of mine who is a captain in the US Army often says, ';Outstanding';. I wonder though if you enjoy hearing our slang too. Even when I travel in the States, like to Texas or California, people say to me ';Your from New York'; because of my Brooklyn accent. Someone in San Diego once told me I sound like a newscaster I quesss because so many of our local newscasters wind up on the West Coast. people in Texas said that I talk too fast which also might be a New York trait. Anyway, hope you find that deli.




It could well have been the Bronx - looks like the letter ';B'; is the only thing I got right LOL!! I tried the BBC Holiday website but it doesn%26#39;t mention the deli...I%26#39;m still hoping someone can help! I think the presenter said something about Little Italy in Manahattan not being the ';in'; place anymore and that the Little Italy in whichever ';B'; it was was ';the'; place to go.




The Arthur Avenue section of the Bronx is where many consider the ';real'; little Italy is. Sounds like they featured Mike%26#39;s Deli





bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/鈥ikes.htm




I remember Little Italy being really tiny when we were there! It didn%26#39;t seem like an area - more of a street!





Although having missed Holiday because of a Skyplus %26#39;incident%26#39; I%26#39;d be very interested if anyone knows if it is going to be repeated on BBC3 or anywhere else?




It was Mikes Deli in the Bronx!!




Ange



IMHO you didnt miss that much.I was really quite dissapointed in it.



Did anyone else find it useful?




Mikes deli was in the bronx.





It was the cheesecakes that was featured in Brooklyn.




Thanks everyone - yes it was Mikes Deli in The Bronx - so I%26#39;ll be heading off there next week!!



arthuravenue.com/images/鈥ike_Deli_Menu.pdf




Arthur Avenue in the Bronx is a lot of fun. Bring a sturdy bag to carry your purchases.





To whet your appetite a little more, below is an old thread from egullet with pictures describing an excursion to Mike%26#39;s and the Arthur Avenue Market. The reason it is so crowded is it was right before Easter and everyone was stocking up for the holiday. It should not be that crowded when you go.





Two words of advice:





1. Go hungry.



2. For the best cannoli, there is a bakery right on Arthur Avenue called Madonia. They fill the cannoli shells to order so they are ultra fresh and crisp.

No comments:

Post a Comment